ClevelandElementary School

History

Historical Facts

Erected: 1955

Renovations/Additions: None

Sq. Footage: 37,278

The original building was constructed in 1883 as the Eighth Ward School House. The school closed for a year in 1954 to undergo major renovations and reopened in 1955. Cleveland was closed as an elementary school on June 12th, 1981 and was used as a day care center until 1984, when it reopened as an elementary school due to the swelling population in the city.

In 1909, the school was renamed in honor of President Grover Cleveland.